Thursday, December 8, 2011

Eggless Rosette Cookies

Christmas is around the corner and these Rosette cookies or Achappam as they call in Kerala ( Southern Indian State) are traditionally made around this festive time. To know more about their origin I took help of Wikipedia and it seems that these cookies originated in the Scandinavia.  


These cookies are made using special mould which is made of iron and has intricate design with wooden handle. The mould is dipped in hot oil and then immersed in the batter which is then fried to get these delicious treats.


I made these rossette for the first time and almost all the recipes call for eggs but since we don't take eggs I was little sceptical as how these would turn out, but these turned out super good and were a real treat.

Ingredients:

Fine Rice Flour- 3/4 Cup ( Make sure to use non roasted flour)
All Purpose Flour- 1/2 Cup
Sugar- 1/2 Cup
Banana Purée- 1 tbsp
Thick Coconut Milk- 1/2 Cup
Cardamom Powder- 1/2 Tsp
Black Sesame Seeds- 1 Tbsp
Water- To make the batter
Salt- A Pinch
Oil - To Deep Fry

Procedure:
  • Heat oil in a frying pan and keep the rosette mould immersed in hot oil.
  • Prepare the batter by mixing rice flour, all purpose flour, sugar, banana purée, coconut milk, cardamom powder, black sesame seeds, salt together and add water to make a smooth, lump free batter of neither too thin nor too thick but of flowing consistency.
  • When the oil is hot enough take out the mould from it and immediately immerse the mould upto 3/4th in the prepared batter. Take care not to fully immerse the mould in the batter else the cookies will not come out of the mould.
  • Take out the mould from the batter and immediately immerse it in the hot oil. 
  • Let the batter fry for 20-30 seconds in medium heat along with the mould.
  • Now gently tap the mould to release the cookie in the oil. If the cookie doesn't come out on it own then use a skewer to remove the cookie. However with practise these cookies come out perfectly.
  • Fry on both sides till the cookies turn slight golden. 
  • Make sure to fry only a couple of these at a time, since these turn dark very quickly.
  • Also the mould has to be hot each time before being dipped into the batter. If the mould is not hot then the batter won't come off in hot oil.



Linking these to #cookielove blog hop co hosted by me along with other wonderful bloggers. Do check them here.

51 comments:

  1. superb clicks!!!!!! love these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh so prettyyyyyy!!!!!
    The first zoomed in pic of your cookie reminded me of Giant Wheel in amusement parks :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... this looks different and innovative... super pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG These look fabulous. Gr8 job done. Love these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crispy and yummy achappam..my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wanna make this real soon. picked up the mould fm india this time ......as u said christmas round the corner ..i better wake up !! lovely achappams - this is one fave snack my son can jsut finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautful designe crispy.looking inviting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!!!!
    I love the mold and how the cookies turned out...
    Eggless makes it even more interesting....
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesommmee! another cookie veganized.. i love these rosettes. though i have never tasted one or even seen one.. i can imagine how fun they must be! love the gorgeous clicks! neat and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. delicious and perfectly made,my hubby's fav. but it never comes good for me..yours look sooo good,I think it depends on mould also,mine is so thin.Your mould looks perfect and sturdy..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those crispy cookies. My son just loves them, so I bought a mould while coming from India.To my surprise I found some moulds like that in a cookery specialty store here.There's a swedish recipe somewhat similar to this it seems.
    Anyways planning to make it this month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look so pretty. Yum. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! I've just found your blog through Tasteologie. These look divine! I haven't eaten achchapam in over 10 years, completely forgot about them. I've bookmarked your post and as soon as I get a rosette I'll make them. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I came across this recipe via Cookielove event...We have the same dish in Sri Lanka & cook for festivals as a traditional dish & we call it 'Kokis',may be name is derived from 'cookies'...:)I really want to try this,pl share with me some info,I saw this is your 1st time,is this a new mould?Did you do some thing to the mould before you use it other than dip in hot oil?because I have heard the mould is too sticky for the first few batches,so I am afraid of trying....

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow...iam drooling here so tempting....awesome clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  16. You just reminded me to get the acchappam mould to get from my niece who happens to be in India.I used to love these.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey lady your photos are becoming better and better every day! what's the secret:) And I think it's amazing that you can turn out these cookies without eggs and with my fav ingredient-coconut milk! Very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  18. PRECIOSAS ...nosotros estas flores de psta las comemos en una fiesta de fecbreo llamada CARNAVALES ...TE HAN SALIDO FANTASTICAS BSSSMARIMI

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a wonderful eggless version Raji. You could have named it as eggless rosette cookies as many happen to look for a eggless version and it will be an easy find.
    Event :Winter Carnival and Baked Goodies

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow...
    looks beautiful and delicious
    beautiful clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look so cute raji!!!! Where did u get those moulds???

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for your lovely comments...I am really blushing :)

    @Vegan Magic- Welcome to my space..glad you liked this.

    @Amy- Thanks for you comment Amy. The mould is new and it did stick for first two cookies but I kept it immersed for long in the oil and the cookies did not stick. If you find it too hard then dip the mould for some time in hot oil daily for couple of days and it will be seasoned perfectly.

    @Shumaila- I am flattered by your comment, since I always find your pictures beautiful.

    @Priya Vasu- I bought this mould from India...from MP to be more precise.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wonderful cookies. For some reason I have the feeling I had tried many many years ago this cookies, strangly familiar. lovely post all in all! =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The cookies look so delicate and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. lovely looking rosettes and the eggless version gets a thumbs-up ! the banana puree as an egg replacer has my attention !!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for the reply,I saw similar type mould in a store here in Singapore,I am going to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow , love the shape :)looks yummy !!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful!Had these a long time ago in India!Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am bookmarking this. Amazing clicks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. achappam looks just perfect n yummm! :P

    ReplyDelete
  31. i first tasted them at a friend in college and fell in love instantly..jus love them...awesome...well made

    ReplyDelete
  32. Soooo cute and perfect looking rosette cookies...its my fav dear. So crispy and mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Am pleases to see this recipe after a long time. we call this as achu murukku. Reminds me of my chilhood days.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks fabulous n tempting clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  35. i love rose cookies... and i can never make them :( though this time I got the rose cookie mould from home... maybe when i am feeling brave!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks really nice cookies.Super click.

    ReplyDelete
  37. yummy looks fabulous lovely substitute of banana in these cookies

    ReplyDelete
  38. These cookies look wonderful!!! :) This is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I saw these type of cookies in a Moroccan cookbook and while back and wanted a rosseta since. Looking at your cookies I want one even more!
    Happy Holidays Raji!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow. Love these Achappams anytime.
    Looks perfect and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love these types of cookies...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow!!I could make it with no fail...Thanks for the recipe & ideas,pl check my Kokis Recipe

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. Your views are much appreciated.

ShareThis

Post From The Past

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...