Osaman is a very thin and easily digestible soup mostly made by Gujrati's. This is a very healthy and tasty soup. The soup is made by using green mung beans. The mung beans needs to be soaked overnight and then cooked in water till soft but not mushy. The water should be drained from the beans and that water is what is used to make this soup. I used the cooked beans to make sundal.
This soup is now a regular in my kitchen. Earlier I used to discard the bean stock but now this is used to make this very tasty and tangy soup.
(Recipe Source: You Tube)
Mung Beans- 1 Cup ( Soaked overnight or at least 8 hours)
Asafoetida (Heeng)- A pinch
Mustard Seeds- 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds- 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon- 1/2 inch stick
Whole Black Pepper- 5
Oil- 2 tsp
Ginger and Green Chilli Paste- 1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
Jaggery Powdered- 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves- 6-7 leaves
Coriander Leaves finely chopped- 1 tbsp
Lemon Juice- 1 tbsp
- Drain the soaked beans and cook in an open vessel with atleast 4 cups of water so that beans gets cooked thoroughly but does not get mushy.
- Once cooked drain the water in a pot from the beans and keep the beans separate to be used for any other dish. The water drained is what we require to make the soup.
- The above quantity of ingredients is for 2 cups of mung bean water. If the water drained from the beans is less then some more plain water can be added to dilute it and make 2 cups.
- In a pan add the oil and once heated add asafoetida, mustard and cumin seeds.
- Once the seeds splutter add in cloves, cinnamon, black pepper and curry leaves.
- Add in ginger and green chilli paste and sauté for a minute. Finally add in the mung bean water and keep on boiling.
- Once the soup starts boiling and in salt and turmeric powder and continue boiling.
- Add in jaggery and coriander leaves and boil till the jaggery has melted. Add in the lemon juice.
Switch off the gas and serve the soup hot.