How often can we hear our kids screaming for ice cream in the summers? Well..mine screams each time she sees them in supermarket...but I don't buy it as many times she would like me to.
Now a days there are N numbers of various brands and flavours available in the market and I bet they all taste like heaven... always love the ice cream in fresh hot cone from baskin robbins...the aroma always makes me to crave for it and it gets so tough to decide that which wacky flavour we want to try and how to forget the all natural ice creams...we are spoiled for choices.
I came across this recipe in David Lebovitz's "The Perfect Scoop".... liked it at first site. Simple to make and with very less ingredients this ice cream was a sure hit in my house. If you have an ice cream maker then it becomes even more easy.... but since I don't possess one and neither have any inclination to buy ,I had to go an extra step to make the ice cream smooth and creamy just like the store bought ones.
The technique of making perfect Ice Cream without the maker can be found here.
Banana- 3 Big peeled
Firmly Packed Brown Sugar- 1/3 Cup
Unsalted Butter- 1 tbsp (Cut into small pieces)
Whole Milk- 1 1/2 Cup
Granulated Sugar- 3 tbsp (original recipe uses 2 tbsp)
Vanilla Extract- 1/2 tsp
Freshly squeezed lemon juice- 1 tsp ( original recipe uses 1 1/2 tsp)
Coarse Salt- 1/4 tsp
Chocolate Chips- A handful ( optional...not in the original recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Slice the bananas in 1/2 inch round pieces and toss them with brown sugar and butter in a baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring just once in between until the bananas are cooked and browned through.
- Scrape the bananas and the thick syrup in the dish into the blender. Add the milk, granulated sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and salt and puree until smooth.
- Pour this mixture in a plastic container and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Keep for freezing. After 45 minutes take out the mixture and with the help of hand held mixture blend the mixture for sometime. Instead of hand held blender you can also stir it vigorously with whisk or spatula as well.
- Keep the mixture back in the freezer. Again check the mixture after another 45 minutes or so...and repeat the same process. Do like this for another 2 times.
- The ice cream will be ready and will be soft and smooth.
Serve as it is or with some chocolate syrup or nutella.
Linking this to Jay's Letz Relish Ice cream Event
Radhika's Fun N Sun Event