Upma is one of the most popular breakfast in any Indian household. Semolina or vermicelli upma used to feature regularly in my kitchen and once a while cracked wheat upma was made and enjoyed. But now a days barley has become my family's favorite grain and we enjoy it in many forms, be it the rotis made with added barley flour, barley dosa, barley soup or this barley upma. Rice can be easily substituted with barley in most of the dishes like pulao and khichdis too.
This recipe was given by Sangeeta Khanna whose diet plan I follow. She told me to make barley dalia upma but bless my ignorance those days, I combined cracked wheat and pearl barley to make the most unappetizing upma. That was then she introduced me to cracked barley or barley grits. And now there is no slipping back to semolina or vermicelli.
Ingredients: ( Serves 2 )
Barley Grits - 1/2 Cup
Water- 1 1/2 Cups
Onion- 1 Large ( finely chopped )
Ginger- 1/2 Inch Piece ( grated )
Green Chilies - 2 ( finely chopped )
Carrot - 1 Medium Sized ( cut in small pieces )
French Beans - 10-12 ( finely chopped )
Green Peas - 1/4 Cup
Tomato - 1 Small chopped
Peanuts - 2 Tbsp
Oil - 1 or 1 1/2 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds- 1 Tsp
Urad Dal ( Split black gram ) - 1 Tbsp
Salt- To taste
Juice of 1 small lemon
Coriander Leaves - To Garnish
- Switch on the gas and take a pressure cooker and keep it on heat. Add oil and once it heats up add in mustard seeds. After the mustard seeds crackle add split black gram and peanuts.
- When peanuts start cracking add chopped onions, ginger, green chilies and saute till onion turns translucent.
- Add carrots, beans, peas and let it all cook for a minute or two stirring in between.
- Now add barley grits mix well and let it cook for few minutes. Keep stirring else barley may stick to the cookers bottom.
- Pour water and add salt and tomatoes. Mix well.
- Put back the lid of the pressure cooker and let the upma cook in medium flame till 2 whistles come. Take the pressure cooker off the heat and let the cooker cool for some time before opening the lid.
- Open the lid and add in lemon juice and coriander leaves. Mix well and serve hot.
Barley grits is available in Dubai at Down To Earth Organic Store.