New Year...new outlook towards life...new resolutions...and a new you...is what we all have in our minds. But do we need excuse of new year to start something which is good for us...No... Each day is a new day which brings lots of hopes, promises and good things in life, and the resolutions are meant to be broken..so do not make resolutions but make good choices and take decisions which have positive effect in life.
I used to make resolutions every year but now have stopped making them cause I know I will not be able to stick on even a single of those. But I have promised myself to try to live each day to its fullest, to spend more quality time with my DH, play lot more with my daughter and make more new friends but cherish the old ones for ever :)
I am a big fan of veggies in baked goodies, earlier I have made a beet bundt, carrot muffins and even a savoury pumpkin scone, so now this time I sneaked bottle gourd in chocolate cake. The cake turned out to be super moist and no body could guess that bottle gourd was in it..hehe (evil smile).
I dressed up the cake with chocolate sauce and it was divine.
( Recipe inspired from goshthatssovegan)
For the Cake-
All Purpose Flour- 1 Cup
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder- 6 Tbsps
Sugar- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsps
Baking Soda-1 Tsp
Instant Coffee Powder- 1 Tsp
Salt- 1/8 Tsp
Canola Oil- 1/4 Cup
White Distilled Vinegar- 1 Tsp
Vanilla Extract- 1 Tsp
Water- 3/4 Cup (Approx)
Bottle Gourd- 1 Cup grated and packed
For Chocolate Sauce-
Sugar- 1/2 Cup
Soy Milk or Dairy Milk- 1/2 Cup
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder- 1/2 Tbsp
Salt- A Pinch
Vanilla extract- 1/4 Tsp
All Purpose Flour- 2 Tsp
For The Cake-
- Preheat the oven at 180 Degrees C for 10-15 minutes.
- Grease a cake tin with oil and line up with a parchment paper then grease the top of the paper with oil and keep aside.
- Grate the bottle gourd and measure 1 cup packed and keep separate.
- Sift all the dry ingredients ( flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, coffee, salt) together in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour the wet ingredients ( oil, vinegar, vanilla, water) in it.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Squeeze out water from the gourd and mix the grated gourd in the prepared cake mixture. Stir gently till everything is combined.
- Pour the batter in prepared cake tin. Choose a cake tin so that batter is more than 1/2 in the tin.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven at 180 Degrees for 35-38 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. I baked the last 10 minutes with the top of the cake covered with aluminium foil.
For Chocolate Sauce-
Combine all the ingredients together in a saucepan and mix well so that there are no lumps. Boil the sauce for
about 2 minutes in slow heat. Remove from heat. The sauce thickens as it cools. If the sauce gets too thick then add in more milk and heat it up a bit.
Pour the sauce on the cake and serve warm.
Sending this cake to Veggie/ Fruit A Month- Bottle Gourd which is a brainchild of Priya of Mharo Rajasthan and currently being hosted at my space.
Also linking this to Cooking Concept's Chocolate Fest.
Srivalli's Chocolate Mela
Vardhini's NewU event
Suma at Veggie Platter's Cook Eat Delicious Desserts event.