I have always been fascinated by baked goodies and when I saw these savoury scones in Sunita's World I was longing to make them. I changed the original recipe by replacing carrots with pumpkin and omitting spinach leaves. As we are vegetarians and do not eat eggs, I replaced egg with flaxseed meal.
The result was very tasty scones with oozing cheese and crispy outsides with soft insides which got disappeared in no time.
All Purpose Flour - 1 cup
Whole Wheat Flour - 1 cup
Pumpkin - 1 cup( grated)
Cheddar Cheese - 1/4 cup (grated)
Milk - 1/2 cup + little more for brushing
Baking Powder - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Butter - 2 tbsp (chilled)
Flaxseed meal - 1 tbsp
Water - 3 tbsp
Italian Seasoning - 1 tsp
Sesame seeds for topping
- Pre heat the oven to 220 degree C and grease a baking tray
- Sift together both flours , baking powder, seasoning and salt.
- Mix in grated pumpkin , cheese and coriander leaves.
- In a mixer pulse 2-3 times flaxseed meal and 3 tbsp water and pour this in the flour mix.
- Rub the butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the milk and bring everything together.
- Do not knead the mixture very much.
- Roll the dough in a floured surface about 1 cm thick and cut in square shapes.
- Place in the greased baking tray and brush the top with milk and sprinkle some sesame seeds.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for about 17-20 mins or till golden brown in colour and when toothpick is inserted it should come clean.
Sending this to Priya's Bookmarked Recipes- Every Tuesday Event
Also sending this to Healing Foods- Winter Squash event started by Siri of Cooking with Siri and hosted by tastespace.
Sending to Champa's Bake Off event.