Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Vegan Beet Bundt

Since I took the vegan challenge I had not made any dessert or sweet as most of the Indian sweets I make are made with ghee and milk. But when I saw this vegan bundt cake at Food Librarian's space I was amazed at it's texture and since I had all the ingredients handy, I immediately put on my baking gloves.

The cake turned out to be super moist and had rich flavour. Beetroot gives this cake a wonderful red colour and softness. 


Ingredients:

All Purpose Flour- 1 Cup
Beetroot Puree- 1 Cup ( Steam 2 medium beets and purée in a blender)
Canola Oil- 1/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder- 4 tbsp
Vanilla Extract- 1/2 tsp
Packed Brown Sugar- 3/4 Cup
Baking Powder- 1 tsp
Salt- 1/8 tsp
Confectioner's Sugar- For dusting (optional)


Procedure:
  • Preheat the oven at 190 degrees C and grease the bundt pan and keep aside.
  • In a bowl cream together oil and brown sugar. Add in the beet purée, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and mix together.
  • In another bowl sieve all purpose flour, salt and baking powder together.
  • Add this dry mixture to the wet beet mixture and mix everything together just until combined.
  • Pour the mixture in the prepared bundt pan and bake for 35- 40 minutes or till done. If a screwer inserted in the centre of the bundt comes out clean, the bundt is done.
  • Wait for the bundt cake to cool and then invert in a plate.


My husband and daughter liked their cake with generous dusting of confectioner's sugar and I enjoyed mine plain.

Note-Instead of cocoa powder 1/4 cup of any non dairy choco chip can be substituted .And dairy choco chip can be substituted for a non vegan version.

Sending this bundt to National Bundt day at Mary- The Food Librarian's space.
Also linking this to Srivalli's Kid's Delight Event hosted at Cooks Hideout space.



49 comments:

  1. My kids love beet.So the recipe is bookmarked Raji.Cake looks moist and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can very well imagine the taste of this moist looking cake ! yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baking with veggies is so exotic... loved the cake..
    Super soft and delicious..:)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy cake Raji! Love that colour. Have heard that beet cakes are yumm. Want to try it some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So moist & inviting!!! Bookmarking this :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cake looks absolutely marvellous,super moist and interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! loved your first click... Looks so moist! Yuuuuuuuuummmmy one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too saw this recipe at the Food Librarian's yesterday and was tempted.. now seeing yours tempts me to try out soon! Nice one...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate cake with beets looks amazing.. lovely color and cake is so moist and delicious.
    Thanks for sending it over to Kid's Delight event.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow...
    looks delectable :)
    gr8 clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great! It's eggless so I can bake it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely cake dear..Looks so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow looks delicious...yummy looking cake

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks fantastic Raji, perfectly made.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummmmmy..........feel like grabbing a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the texture and color..tempting cake

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow.. that looks delicious.!! Amazing clicks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! Love the color that the beet imparted to the cake!
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't really like beets but this looks DELECTABLE!!! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The bundt is exquisite and spongy! So tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautifully baked cake...simply yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delicious soft bundt cake love the beet root in here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. lovely Raji.. the cake looks fabulous and texture, color and the moisture. i am so happy that you are cooking up fun vegan things and liking them! Keep on going!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like a great recipe...you can see the lovely texture in the photos. I've never made a cake with beets before, but you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the color a lot. healthy one :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow perfect cake,love this totally...pls pass a peace:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Never tried this combo, great texture and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cake looks soft n delicious. Innovative recipe. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. delicious dear..U have made it perfectly..Love to make this...

    Do visit my blog too
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Seems like the only way my family can be cheated into eating some beets.

    Love colour.
    How do I subscribe you via email?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Anita, Thanks for dropping by..I have now added the subscribe by email gadget.

    Vegan diet is going good for me. True that we vegetarians follow more or less vegan diet, but after eliminating full cream milk and curd from my diet I feel light and less bloated, and now even started liking soy milk. I have eliminated ghee from my parathas and tadkas, so truly saving lots of unnecessary fat from entering into my already broad waistline. Though it may be difficult to continue this for ever but still planning to stick to this diet as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It certainly luks so moist and inviting, good work by you. Vegan version sounds splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  33. simply SUPERB raji - bookmarking this one!

    ReplyDelete
  34. thanks Raji for your response. I would ask a few more months down the line about how you feel different. I am most interested in this little vegan experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, baking with beet sounds interesting and so healthy. Good way to get some veggies in my kid!

    ReplyDelete
  36. this is just awesome...love your yummy version raji..;)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Raji,
    it's been so long since I last visited your blog. I was so sure I was following you ... sigh.. I just took care of that.
    I'm so impressed by your photos, WOW, all are STUNNING!
    And this cake, hooray for a delicious vegan dessert. Love the beets addition, don't you just love when you can sneak in some veggies ;)
    Thanks for sharing. Hope you're having a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  38. looks gorgeous !! have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yummmm!! Tasty and healthy , would love to try this .

    ReplyDelete
  40. This cake looks really delicious! Love the idea of making a cake red by using beets instead of by using red food coloring...yum! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. Your views are much appreciated.

ShareThis

Post From The Past

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...