Giving something healthy and at the same time nothing very heavy to my kiddo as evening snacks is a daily challenge for me. Store bought chips and other snacks are a big no no and I like to make something quick for her.
I usually make dumplings with rice ( ammini kozhukkatai) but this time I tried with cornmeal after seeing the recipe here. Instead of stir frying, these dumplings can be steamed and then seasoned for a more healthier version.
Water- 1 Cup
Oil- 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder- A pinch
Salt- 1/4 tsp
Fine Cornmeal- 1/2 Cup
Oil- 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds- 1/2 tsp
Split Black Gram- 1/2 tsp
Green Chilly- 1 (chopped)
Dried Red Chilli- 1 (broken)
Curry Leaves- 6-8
Fresh Coconut Grated- 1tbsp
- In a pan heat water and and add oil, turmeric powder and salt. Let the water boil.
- Reduce the heat and add cornmeal into the water. Stir the mixture so that there are no lumps.
- Cook until all the water is absorbed. Switch off the gas and remove the mixture onto a plate.
- Once the mixture is cool enough to handle, pinch out small portions out of the dough and make marble sized balls. Keep the balls aside in a plate.
- Now heat oil in a wide frying pan and add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds splutter add in split black gram. When the gram turns little golden brown add in both green and red chilli and curry leaves.
- Now gently add in the cornmeal dumplings and cook in medium heat. Do not turn or toss the dumplings at this stage as they may break.
- After 3-4 minutes gently toss the pan and let the dumplings cook again for 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the gas and season with fresh grated coconut.