Moong daal halwa tastes very good as it is but making it with almonds enhances its taste. This is a recipe by my friend P who is a lovely lady from the state of Rajasthan. Moong daal halwa makes a regular entree in the menu card of marriage reception in my home town. Here goes the recipe-
Yellow split moong daal - 200 gms (Soak for 4-5 hrs)
Almonds - 200 gms ( soak in hot water and remove the skin)
Ghee - 200 gms
Sugar - 200 to 250 gms depending on your sweet taste buds
- Drain the water from the daal and coarsely grind in mixie without adding water.
- Pulse almonds in the mixer for 2-3 times.
- In 2 tblsp ghee roast the almonds for 5-7 mins taking care not to let the colour change and keep aside.
- In the remaining ghee roast daal till it turns golden brown ( more of biscuit colour)
- Meanwhile make sugar syrup by mixing sugar and just enough water so that sugar gets soaked.
- Boil the syrup for 5 mins... strings are not required.
- Then mix the almonds, daal and pour the sugar syrup.
- Keep stirring till it attains halwa consistency.
Do keep your portions small as this is loaded with calories.