Daal is frequently made in my house. I like to make various varieties of daals but have never tried gujarati daal. I want to thank Srivalli for joining me in the ICC and giving me an opportunity to try this daal. Srivalli selected authentic gujarati daal from the cookbook Sukham Ayu co authored by Jigyasa giri and Pratibha jain.
This daal turned out great and was loved by everyone including my lil one who is otherwise not very fond of daals. We had this daal with hot rotis.
Toor Daal - 1/2 cup (soaked for 1/2 hour)
Haldi (Turmeric)- 1/2 tsp
Tamarind pulp - 2 tbsp
Jaggery - 2 tsp
Hard dry dates( kharak) - 4 halved
Drumsticks - 2 (cut in 2 inch pieces)
Groundnuts - 1 tbsp
Green Chillies - 2 slit
Ginger - 1 inch piece ( finely chopped)
Coriander powder- 2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp ( For garnishing)
Coriander Leaves - for garnishing
Salt - to taste
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds- 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chillies - 2
Heeng - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - few
- Pressure cook soaked daal with turmeric in 2 cups of water for 3 whistles or till it turns soft. Churn well.
- Transfer the cooked daal in a kadhai and add all the ingredients except tempering ingredients and garam masala and coriander leaves.
- Add 1 cup of water and allow the daal to simmer for 15-20 mins. The more the daal simmers the better the taste.
- In a pan prepare the tempering by adding ghee and heating it then add mustard, fenugreek, cumin , red chillies, heeng and curry leaves. Add tempering to the daal.
- Boil the daal for another 5- 10 mins then switch off the gas.
- Add garam masala and coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Serve hot and fresh.
I have kept the original recipe only excluding Yam.