I fell in love instantly when I saw this name "Pani Popo"...I knew that I have to make this. This recipe was lying in my bookmarked folder from the time I saw this in Roxana's blog. Roxana adapted this from Dionne's blog...and did some changes in the original recipe. I also did some changes in roxana's recipe and made these pani popo's ...these were hit in my house. I had halved the recipe but after seeing the buns vanish I have decided to double the recipe next time.
Check out roxana's blog for mouthwatering pictures of pani popo and many other lovely recipes. Lots of thanks to Dionne for creating the recipe and to Roxana for clicking beautiful pictures which inspired me to make them.
APF- 2 Cups
Instant yeast - Half package
Full Cream Milk - 1/2 Cup (Lukewarm)
Coconut Milk - 1/4 Cup (Lukewarm)
Unsalted Butter- 1/2 tbsp + extra for brushing
Coconut Milk- 1 full can ( for pouring on the buns)
Sugar- 1/2 cup
Since my daughter has got sweet tooth I have used 1/2 cup sugar ...you can reduce according to your taste.
- Combine APF, Yeast, melted butter and both lukewarm milks.
- Knead into a dough for 7-10 minutes..till dough becomes soft.
- Place in a buttered bowl, and leave to double in volume, it took mine around 1 hour to double.
- Punch back the dough and form dough into little balls ...i got around 8 balls....and place them little apart in buttered baking dish.
- Leave the buns to rise again.
- Meanwhile mix coconut milk and sugar and pour it over the risen buns.
- Bake the buns in preheated oven at around 190 degrees C for about 25 to 30 mins or till they are done.
Sending this to Champa's Bake Off
Also sending this to pari's Only- Cooking with Bread Event.