Monday, June 13, 2011

Badi / Vadi Ki Subzi

Sometimes when I am short of dinner ideas I like to make this badi subzi, this subzi is quick to make and tastes very delicious. Badi is made using daals like moong, urad, chawli. The daal are soaked overnight and ground using heeng, salt and chillies, then small marbled sized amount of batter is dropped and dried in the sun. The dried badis can be stored in an air tight container and used as and when required. To know more about how badis can be made please check here.

I have used store bought chawli badis. I prepare all the different kinds of badi subzis the same way.




Ingredients:

Dried badis- 100 gms
Potato- 1 ( Cut in big chunks)
Onion- 1 Large ( Chopped Finely)
Ginger- 1 Inch Piece( Chopped)
Garlic- 2 Cloves( Minced)
Tomatoes- 2 Big (Ground)
Mustard Seeds- 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
Salt, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Amchoor- To Taste
Oil- 2 tbsp + more to fry the badis
Coriander Leaves- To garnish

Procedure:
  • Heat the oil in a kadhai and fry the badis till they turn brown in colour. Take out and keep separate.
  • In a small pressure cooker pour the 2 tbsp of oil and add mustard and cumin. When they start spluttering add in the ginger, garlic and chopped onions.
  • Fry till the onions turns translucent. Add in tomato paste along with all the spices and fry till the raw aroma disappears. 
  • Add in the potatoes, fried badis and stir. Pour in around 2-3 cups of water and mix everything. Close the lid of the cooker and cook in medium flame till 3-4 whistles come up.
  • Switch off the gas and when the pressure of the cooker drops down open the lid and garnish with chopped coriander.
Serve hot with phulkas.

Update: Vadis are also known as mangodis in Rajasthan and is a speciality dish there. Thanks to Sonu for pointing this out. I am sending this to her event Flavours of Rajasthan originally started by Nayna.



43 comments:

  1. This Sabzi is new to me.
    You got a nice blog here Raji, got to explore...
    Your Blog Pictures are too Good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not very familiar with this badi, but looks very delicious. Will surely hunt for this badi in shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call that here 'Vadis'. Nice presentation and an yummy procedure given.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for giving your feedback girls..@Mira~ya now I remember that they are called vadis as well..I will update my title..thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this recipe is new to me... i saw Punjabi vade in our local indian store, I think they are similar to what you call badi... may be i should try them!! Cury looks very colorful n tasty... you have a nice blog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting dish! Ive never had badi before... will look for it in the shops from now on..

    ReplyDelete
  7. New curry for me, looks simlpy superb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have not tried this but it looks inviting and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my mom used to make this frequently !! we say vadi curry !! this looks so delicious and well presented !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is new to me...looks fabulous,bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely delicious curry. I am cleaning up my pantry before going on a vacation and I still have a pack of badis left. Your post is tempting me to finish this one today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy Vadi subzi....even we have this Badis ( made from black lentils ) in Orissa...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely recipe.. looks simply amazing and tempting !!
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey this a very new sabzi.. looks so good n inviting...should try to buy this vadis...very healthy n easy curry..thanx Raji for sharing such a new recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks lovely and delicious.. love the presentation too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Raji, This curry is my all time favorite and this is looking absolutely delightful. Loved the new combo of ingredients and the recipe is so nicely made and presented. Saving this recipe of urs and wud love to give ur version a try on the coming weekend. Have a great day….Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. interesting recipe..looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree, absolutely delicious and very easy to make and when there are no veggies or things to make, this is the best option. I make few batches of these badis at home and keep them in freezer :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delicious curry!!! Would love to try this out soon!!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  20. Laajawab........anytime my favorite!!
    very nice presentation Raji ...You rock !!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Subzi looks wonderful, looks delicious and cant wait to make some badis..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a flavorful and delicious sabzi..love vadiya/vadis..mom often make this sabzi and I used to love it..mmm...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to eat it with hot phulkas very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't had like this looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't had like this looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds very new to me! Nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Badi subji..haven;t had for quite sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I do same too dear ....just the same:) ...looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your post brought many memories back I have the recipe in draft, will be posting soon ~ I love wadis too , my mom often used to cook it with potatoes n eggplants and I simply loved it..whenever I visit India mom packs kilos of these homemade wadis for me to bring back :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wadi ki sabzi looks delicious, love it As it is easy to make I will try from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks delicious and yummy.Have bookmarked it
    South Indian Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  32. looks super delicious..luved the recipe very much,very unusual to what we make...we call it mangodi in rajasthan...im guest hosting Flavours Of Rajasthan event...and since mangodis are one of the famous ingredient use in rajasthan ,i wud really appreciate if u send this entry for my event...thanx in advance !

    ReplyDelete
  33. subzi looks yummy..I'm mouthwatering here :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow.. Looks abso delicious.. Trying it tomorrow

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. Your views are much appreciated.

ShareThis

Post From The Past

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...