Lately I have been seeing many innovative dishes in the blogosphere made of healthy ingredients...and I am always spellbound and speechless by seeing fellow bloggers creativity. Before coming in the blogosphere I never thought of cooking with healthy ingredients like flax seeds, oats and dates etc. To me the use of oats was limited to gooey porridge and dates packs were simply munched on and they used to vanish in no time. But now after seeing all the yummy and innovative dishes I too thought of making something with healthy ingredients and hence made these laddoos.
The laddoos turned out even more good than I had expected. Now I will be making these more often.
During my last supermarket trip I got these wonderful Tunisian dates which looked very good and were very soft, moist and sweet. So these dates were put to good use in these laddoos.
I also used makhana or fox nut in the laddoos. These fox nuts added a special crunch to the laddoos.
Oats- 1 cup
Flax seeds- 2 tbsp
Peanuts- 1/4 cup
Dates- 15- 18
Almond meal- 2 tbsp
Cashews, Almonds, Pistachios- 1/4 cup mixed( all chopped)
Makhana- 1/4 cup
Powdered Sugar- 1/4 cup( increase or decrease according to the sweetness of the dates)
Cardamom Powder- 1/4 tsp
Milk- 2 tbsp
Ghee- 3 tbsp( divided)
- Dry roast oats for 5 minutes and cool down.
- Powder oats and flaxseeds together. Keep aside.
- Dry roast peanuts and remove skin when cooled. Grind nicely and mix with oats and flaxseed powder.
- Remove seeds of dates and grind it with 2 tbsp or little more of milk into a thick paste.
- Break each fox nut( makhana) in small pieces and roast all in 2 tsp of ghee till light golden in colour and crunchy in texture.
- Roast mixed nuts also in a part of ghee.
- Combine oats, flaxseed and peanuts mixture with almond meal, dates paste, makhana, nuts, cardamom powder and powdered sugar. Mix everything well.
- Heat remaining ghee and add in the mixture. Now make lemon sized small balls out of it. Add little more hot ghee if required.
- I got around 15 small lemon sized laddoos with this proportion.
After being photographed this loner went straight in my mouth to satisfy my craving.
Sending this to :
Akila's Dish name starts with F event.
Torview Toronto's Food Palette series- Brown event.