Daal Makhani is one of my favourite daals. The rich and thick daal is a treat to be eaten with parathas, roti but tastes best with hot steamed white rice. The daal is cooked in simmer for a long time and made with butter and garnished with cream.
Black Daal( Whole Urad)- 1 Cup
Red Rajma- 1/4 Cup
Onion- 1 Big
Ginger- 2 inch piece
Garlic- 2 or 3 Cloves
Tomatoes- 3 Big
Heeng- 1/4 tsp
Salt- to taste
Mustard Seeds- 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
Daal Makhani Masala- 2 tsp ( I use catch brand) or Garam Masala- 1 tsp
Butter - 2tbsp + 1 tbsp for garnishing
Fresh Cream- 1/4 Cup
Coriander leaves- For garnishing
- Soak black daal and rajma together for overnight.
- Wash the daals and add it in pressure cooker along with 5 cups of water, heeng and a tsp of salt.
- Pressure cook in medium high for 2 whistles and then keep the gas in simmer and let the daals cook for further 40- 45 minutes. Once cooked let the cooker cool down and then open the cooker and mash the daals little with the back of ladle.
- Meanwhile grind onions, ginger and garlic together and keep separate.
- Grind the tomatoes also and keep separate.
- In a deep kadhai heat 2 tbsp of butter and add mustard and cumin and let them splutter.
- Once spluttered add the onion paste and saute till the paste turns golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes paste, salt and all the spices and cook till the paste starts leaving oil from side.
- Add the cooked daal and mix everything nicely. Keep the daal for simmering for atleast 1/2 an hour stirring in between.
- Add in remaining 1 tbsp of butter, fresh cream and coriander leaves and switch off the gas.
Serve hot with rice or rotis.
Sending this daal to hearth and soul blog hop event co hosted by my dear friend kankana.