होली आई , होली आई,
रंग बिरंगी होली आई ,धूम मचाती होली आई ,
घर घर में खुशियाँ लायी ,
बच्चों की यह टोली आई ,
हाथ में पिचकारी लायी ,
रंग गुलाल उडाती आई ,
होली आई होली आई !!!
This is the poem which we used to read in our books in school. The colourful holi brings lots of happiness in everybody's heart and home. The festival is a delight for the kids who love to play with lots of colours and water. A big bucket of coloured water will be kept ready and no one will be spared. It's a day to take blessings of the elders as well.
And how can we forget all the special treats for holi...poori, malpua, thandai and gujiya. So today I am going to share gujiya recipe.
For the Crust-
APF- 2 Cups
Salt- A PinchGhee - 2 tbsp (Hot)
For the Filling-
Mawa- 300 gms
Dessicated Coconut - 1/2 Cup
Powdered Sugar- 1 Cup
Semolina- 1 tbsp
Poppy Seeds- 1 tbspCashew Nuts- 1/2 Cup ( Coarsely powder in mixer)
Almonds- 1/2 Cup ( Coarsely powder in mixer)
Cardamom Powder- 1/2 tsp
Milk - 2 tbsp to seal the dough
Oil/ Ghee to fry
- Prepare the dough for outer crust by mixing APF, Salt and Ghee. Knead by adding warm water little by little till the dough is soft and smooth. Set aside by covering the dough for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the filling by roasting mawa, till the raw smell goes and golden brown colour is achieved. Set aside to cool.
- Once the mawa is cooled add the semolina, coconut, powdered sugar, powdered nuts, poppy seeds, cardamom powder. Mix everything nicely.
- Take a small portion of the dough and roll it in a thin round of about 5-6 cms diameter and place the thin puri in the gujiya mould and place about 1-1 1/2 tbsp of the filling in the centre.
- Dip finger in the milk and apply it on the edges of the mould to seal it and close the mould ensuring that there is no filling coming in the sealed edges.
- Make all the gujiyas like wise.
- Heat oil in a deep kadhai/ wok and fry the gujiya's in low to medium heat till the crust turns light golden brown from outside. Take out and drain on an absorbent paper. Once cooled store the gujiya's in air tight container.
Enjoy flaky and sweet gujiya's with your friends and family and wishing everybody "Happy Holi'