I am not sure why this recipe is called "cabbage steak" but I liked it very much. This recipe is adapted from Mrs. Mallika Badrinath's book - Snack Special. I have done some changes in the original recipe.
Bengal Gram Dal( Chana Dal) - 1/2 cup
Grated Cabbage - 1 cup
Ginger- 1 inch piece
Green Chillies - 2 or 3
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - to fry
- Soak Chana dal in water for atleast 2hrs.
- Drain water and grind dal along with ginger, green chillies and cumin seeds without adding water.
- Mix grated cabbage and salt to this and make oblong rolls. (1 1/2 inch in diameter and 6-8 inches in length)
- Arrange on a greased cooker plate and steam for 15 mins.
- Cool down and cut into 1/2 inch thick discs.
- Deep fry in oil till golden brown. Serve hot.