Cookies are always a treat for my family and I can say that these were the best flavoured cookies I have ever baked. Served as a snack with milk for my daughter and she also took these in her lunch box.
These cookies are packed with the goodness of almonds and dough can be made in advance and stored in fridge for about 2 days and in the freezer for almost a month.
Original Recipe Source : Gourmet Magazine 2005 Aug
Makes about 45 cookies
APF - 1 cup
Almonds Sliced - 1 cup
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/8 tsp
Butter Softened - 6 tbsp
Granulated White Sugar - 1/4 cup
Light Brown firmly packed Sugar - 1/4 cup
Golden Syrup - 1 tbsp
Vanilla Extract - 1/2 tsp
- Sift together APF, salt and soda.
- Beat together butter, syrup, vanilla extract and both sugars till soft and fluffy for about 5 minutes. I used electric beater.
- Add the flour mixture and mix everything till a dough begins to form.
- Add in the sliced almond and mix everything well. (If the dough is very dry add 1 or 2 tbsp of milk)
- Form a dough and divide it in two parts. Out of one part make a rectangular log about 6 inches long , 2 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick. Wrap the log in cling film. Repeat the same with other round of dough.
- Keep to chill both logs for about 2 hours.
- Take out one log after 2 hrs and cut in 1/8 inch thick slices.
- Arrange the slices around 1/2 inch apart in greased baking tray and bake in pre heated oven at 180 degree C for about 12 minutes or until brown.
- Repeat with the other log.
- Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool and store in airtight container when completely cooled.
These cookies very loved by everyone and my daughter had a big smile on her face.