A very easy to prepare khichdi which is both comforting and light on the stomach. Usually I make ven pongal but this one is more healthy with the inclusion of vegetables. Served with a dollop of ghee for my lil one and we elders enjoyed it with some mango pickle and curd.
Rice - 1 cup
Yellow moong daal - 1/2 cup
Carrots, Cauliflower, Green Peas all mixed - 1 cup (diced)
Tomato - 1 large (Chopped)
Salt - to taste
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Whole Black Pepper - 1 tsp
- Wash and soak rice and daal together for an hour.
- Dry roast the spices till aromatic and coarsely grind them.
- In pressure cooker heat ghee and add the ground spices, then add in the diced vegetables and tomatoes and stir.
- Add in the soaked and drained rice and daal. Mix everything together.
- Pour 4 cups of water and add salt and turmeric powder.
- Put the lid of the cooker and whistle it for 4-5 times.
Serve the khichdi hot.
Sending this to kurinji's Pongal Feast Event.