I love beetroot just because of its vibrant colour...taste wise I am not very fond of it because of its sweetness. I like spicy food but this raita has made me like beetroot. First I tasted one spoon..then second..then third and soon enough my bowl was empty :) I would love to make this now more often.
Beetroot - 1 medium sized grated
Onion - 1 small (chopped)
Green Chillies - 2 ( cut in big pieces)
Ginger - 1 inch piece sliced thinly
Grated fresh Coconut - 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Curry Leaves - 10 nos
Oil - 1 tbsp
Thick Curd - 1 cup
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds, once it splutters add curry leaves, ginger and green chillies..saute it for a minute.
- Add the chopped onions and saute it till soft.
- Add grated coconut and again stir and saute for another minute.
- Add in grated beetroot and mix everything nicely. Put around 2 tbsp of water and close the vessel lid allowing beetroot to cook.
- In the meanwhile dry roast coriander and cumin seeds and grind them dry.
- Once beetroot has cooked add salt and coriander,cumin mixture.
- Stir to incorporate everything together. Keep cooking for another minute then off the gas and allow to cool.
- Beat the curd and add around 1/4 cup of water. The curd should not be very runny.
- Mix in the beetroot mixture with curd and garnish with chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut.